Monday, January 5, 2009

In the shadow of Mt. Kili

Jon and I (Dan) have just finished another all days journey from Dar es Salaam (the Port of Peace) to Moshi. Resting under the shadow of Mt. Kilimanjaro is always an exciting experience. Feels much how Bilbo Baggins must have felt when embarking upon his great adventure into the Misty Mountains, in search of the dwarves great treasure. Maybe that's a bit dramatic but I have just finished reading the Fellowship of the Ring and I feel as if part of that great story. We have not yet seen the peak as it lays hidden in a cloudy mist but we are hopeful to see it tomorrow. Tanzania has been a great experience though I feel that once again we have not given her ample to really show her beauty. But that is the story of this quest. If ones destination is set to far ahead he may find that he has missed the best of the journey that was right before him. The journey is the destination as my Friend Jonathan Olinger might say. Though we have set our hearts on Kampala Uganda, my home sweet home and we must reach there before the journey ends. We are left up to the 25th it seems. Then Jon will journey his own path. Life in Africa is ellusive, if you fail to stray from the travelers path you may have never seen the heart of her people. This is why I long to reach Uganda where everything is more familiar and close. Where I feel at home, comfortable and at peace. The travelers road grows weary. It is community that we long for not discontinuity. We will reach before to long and all my fears shall be relieved. Though we will have missed my dear friend Deo in Kampala as he is flying back to Cape Town. None the less, the journey is the desitination and the journey has not yet run its course, so we shall press on.

“The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.”

We hope to post some more pictures sometime tomorrow evening if all goes well.

Posted by Dan

No comments: